Inspiring Sims
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come read with me.

4 posters

Go down

Come read with me. Empty Come read with me.

Post  clc Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 pm

What are you reading currently everyone?

Currently I am reading The Rattle Bag, a poetry Anthology which I got for christmas I've only read the first 50 pages (theres about 500 in total) My favourite poem so far is An Animal Alphabet which made me laugh.

Feel free to post what you are reading here and what you think of it!
clc
clc
Admin
Admin

https://inspiringsims.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Come read with me. Empty Re: Come read with me.

Post  Sugah Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:40 am

I love discussing books, so I am IN on this discussion, Claire.

I just finished Jodi Picoult's Sing You Home, her latest book.
I very much enjoyed it and would venture to say it is one of my FAVES of her novels.

Now, I am reading Jude Deveraux's Sweet Liar, a modern day romance.
I don't read romantic novels much - and haven't since the 80s, but I've had the book collecting dust in my library for awhile, soooo...
I started reading it a few days ago. I've always liked Deveraux's style and sense of humor.
It's not deep, intellectual reading (can you say "fluff"?), but entirely entertaining.
Sugah
Sugah
Admin
Admin

http://sugahsplace.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  clc Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:35 am

Yeah I have a reading buddy Smile

I have not heard of Jodi Picoult Sugah, what is Sing You Home about? What kind of book is it?

I have to admit I'm not a Romantic person, I cannot remeber a Romance novel I have read, though I have read teen coming of age novels that deals with Romance though.

I am glad you are enjoying Sweet Liar, I find liking the Author's style helps if the genre is not your first prefernce.

I have almost finished the Rattle bag now only 50 pages to go. Next I am reading a short Horror story a friend wrote and then I will read one of the books I got for Christmas, not sure which yet Smile
clc
clc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sugah Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:24 am

Here is a brief synopsis on "Sing You Home", Claire.
I hadn't heard of Jodi Picoult up until a year ago.
She is the author of "My Sister's Keeper" which was made into a movie starring Cameron Diaz.
Did you see it?

I'm not a big fan of poetry. Are you enjoying The Rattle Bag?

I have to admit, I'm not much into romance novels anymore.
So, I can relate to how you feel about them.
I used to be BIG into historical romances when I was raising my girls (in the 80s).
The last few chapters of "Sweet Liar" by Deveraux were borderline silly.
I started to get a little annoyed by how ridiculous the story line turned towards the end.

I'll be interested to learn what you think of your friend's horror story.
I'm a big Stephen King and Dean Koontz fan, speaking of.

Now I am reading "The Grays" by Whitley Strieber, a horror novel about alien abduction.
I've read it before.
Haven't made it to Half Price Books in awhile and was in need of something to read, so I plucked it from my bookshelf.

Sugah
Sugah
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  clc Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:52 am

I hadn't heard of Jodi Picoult up until a year ago.
She is the author of "My Sister's Keeper" which was made into a movie starring Cameron Diaz.
Did you see it?

Shows how much attention I pay as I have read "My Sister's Keeper" Rolling Eyes
I've not seen the movie though, I will have to have a look out for it.

I finished The Rattle bag a week or so ago and yes I enjoyed it, it put all the poems in alphabetical order and it was really nice to read poems from the 16th, 17th and other centuries along side modern(ish) poetry.
I think poetry is a very marmite thing you either love it or hate it, I must admit to being a big fan of poetry, the expression of emotion, descriptive scenes and in some cases short stories really capture my imagination.

I haven't had time to read my riends horror story which is a big shame, her novel slippery souls is coming out on the 18th and I promised to read that as well, to much to do.

At the mintue I am having to read a book for my open uni course which is quite difficult to read, it is a play called Doctor Faustus, it is very deep but is written in very old style english so I'm having trouble reading it. I have ordered the york notes for it as well as a dvd of the play so I can watch it if all else fails Come read with me. 875202

Whatis everyone else reading at the moment?
clc
clc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Light_House Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Oh I've just seen this thread, at the moment I am reading Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson which is a psychological thriller.
Really good read so far, I'm close to finishing it after just starting it yesterday, its been hard to put down.
For anyone who hasn't heard of it here is the Description:

Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

I would highly recommend it so far.

Claire I must admit I don't really read a lot of poetry, not one of my things. I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on your friends stories though.

Sugah I have read "The Grays" by Whitley Strieber, a very good read, I loved the plot and found it quite realistic. Laughing
Light_House
Light_House
Inspired young adult
Inspired young adult

Back to top Go down

Post  clc Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Before I Go To Sleep sounds like and intriguing read Cora, I will have to look it up.
Hopefully I will be able to post more soon I'm still stuck on the play at the moment, I'm getting more into it as time goes on and I understand it more Rolling Eyes
clc
clc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Light_House Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm

What's everyone reading at the moment?

I've finished Before I Go To Sleep, which really was fantastic highly recommended.
Not sure what I am gonna read next, I may need to go down to the bookshop on my next day off and find something.
Light_House
Light_House
Inspired young adult
Inspired young adult

Back to top Go down

Post  Sugah Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:07 am

Before I Go To Sleep sounds intriguing, Cora. I'm going to see if I can find it at our Half Price Books.

I am currently reading Ape House by Sara Gruen (author of Water for Elephants).
Sugah
Sugah
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rayanne Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:38 am

I finished 100 greatest wonders of the world last week, which was excellent, some of the pictures where just amazing (Wish I had the money to go to a few of them) - particular favouites where The great Fjords, Versailles, The grand canel (I have been there a couple of times), The forbidden city, Mount Fuji, Victoria falls and The Grand Canyon.

Tomorrow I am starting on Journey's of a lifetime.

(p.s I hope it is ok to talk about non-fiction books in this thread, I read more travel books than anything)
Rayanne
Rayanne
Inspiring Sims Artist
Inspiring Sims Artist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sugah Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:37 pm

I love that you read non-fiction, Rayanne! I love books PERIOD but have genres I prefer, of course.

I am still reading Ape House by Sara Gruen (author of Water for Elephants).
I pick it up at night before bed to read it.
So far, it's okay ... Not nearly as good as Water for Elephants in my opinion.
But I'm going to see it through til the end! Come read with me. Smiley_reading-1

Sugah
Sugah
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  clc Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Rayanne we can talk about any books you want hun, I'm very happy to talk about fiction or non-fiction books I like to read both.

I read travel books myself Rayanne, especially when I find the need to escape but cannot afford the plane fare's. Or when I want a bit of sun.

I've been doing some 'light' reading lately Comic strips mainly Garfield classics volumes 9, 11 and 12, I've also read some calvin and hobbes also.

Next I have another uni book I need to read - The Faber book of beasts, a poetry book. I have also brought I can make you thin by paul McKenna, as I have put on a few (Hundred) pounds over the winter and I won't be able to hide the extra tyre with clothers for much longer.
clc
clc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sugah Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:43 am

I've also read some calvin and hobbes ...

I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes, Claire!
That comic strip absolutely cracks me up!
I miss it in our newspapers, but have a couple of Calvin and Hobbes books.
How cool that you like C & H, too!

Come read with me. Calvin-and-Hobbes

Do you enjoy poetry, Claire? Would you read it much if you were not doing so for uni?

I can so relate to your weight gain.
I posted over at Sugah's that I, too, will no longer be able to hide behind layers of clothing.
Spring has sprung in Texas. It's shorts & short-sleeved season already!

Come read with me. 519084897
Sugah
Sugah
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  clc Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:46 pm

Come read with me. 1201393482 Another C & H fan, you sure have wonderful taste Lady S!
I have about 5/6 books of C & H and I've read each one at least 3 times, they are very useful when I am depressed or down in the dumps.

I do enjoy poetry Sugah, I write my own quite oftern, I love how so much can be expressed in such a short word count, and I love rhyme also. So many poems make wonderful songs.
I have to admit I wouldn't be reading this particular book if it wasn't for uni, it is not my cup of tea.

As for the weight gain, I still haven't had the courage to actually weigh myself yet.
Personally I prefer winter weather.
clc
clc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum