Inspiring Sims
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp

3 posters

Go down

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Empty Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp

Post  LadyAngel Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 pm

This is a bit long-winded, so if you prefer I just link to my original tutorial please let me know. Very Happy

What You Will Need: (Please note I can't post links here so you will have to do a Google search for these programs)

• SimPE
  • CEP - Required for re-colouring Maxis objects
  • Legacy Nvidia DDS Utilities - Download and install them, just like any Windows program, then start SimPE, select the menu 'Extra', 'Preferences' and fill in the field 'Nvidia DDS Tools' with the exact installation path (you can use the "Browse" button to find the folder where the DDS Utilities are installed).
  • Gimp - Free image editor

Wizards of SimPE comes packaged with the excellent SimPE software. It's a very useful tool for re-colouring objects without having to go through the whole SimPE process if, like me, you find it a bit too complicated!

Here's how to use it. Fire up Wizards of SimPE and click the 'Recolors' link:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h30m37s_002_WizardsofSimPE

In the next section, which may take a while to load, you'll see all the different categories on the left. For the sake of simplicity, we're going to re-colour a basic table, and I'm going to show you 2 ways in which to do it. Click the surfaces image and select the 'NuMica Allinal Card Table':

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h32m14s_003_WizardsofSimPE

Click 'Next' and you'll be taken to the next section, which contains all the re-colourable sections of the item you have selected. This only has one part that can be re-coloured, which is why I've chosen it for this tutorial.

Select any texture you like to work with, but you may not want to use the chequered one for reasons that may become apparent. I'm going to use the turquoise one:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h35m16s_004_WizardsofSimPE

Click the texture and then click 'Export':

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h40m06s_005_WizardsofSimPE

Save the exported image where you can easily find it again...call it anything you like:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h41m55s_006_SaveAs

Now fire up Gimp and open the image you've just exported:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h45m35s_007_OpenImage

Now, for the first re-colour, we're going to use the very simple method I've used in other tutorials. From the top menu bar, select 'Colours/Hue-Saturation':

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h47m01s_008_

Adjust the colour bars at the bottom until you find a colour you like, then click 'OK':

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h50m04s_009_Hue-Saturation

This is why we didn't use the chequered patterned table at the start for this particular method.

Save the image, then go back to 'Wizards of SimPE'. This time we're going to click on the texture, then click the 'Import' button:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h52m39s_010_WizardsofSimPE

Surf to the image you saved, which should now be a different colour, the one you created:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h53m49s_011_Open

Import the image, then click somewhere in the SimPE window to de-select the texture, which should now show the changed image:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h56m08s_012_WizardsofSimPE

Click 'Next' and give your re-colour a name that you could recognise later if you want to share it:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_18h56m59s_013_WizardsofSimPE

Click 'Finish' to save the new file into your Sims downloads folder.

Okay, here's a way to use a different texture to re-colour the table. In 'Wizards Of SimPE', go through the whole process again until you get to the 'Export' page. There's no need to export the image again as we still have the old one, it doesn't matter that it's been re-coloured.

Open up Gimp again and open the same re-colour, only this time I'm going to use an image to re-colour the table, rather than just adjusting the hue/saturation of it.

I'm going to also open an image I have on my computer and resize it:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_19h07m48s_015_

The size should be 128x128. It doesn't have to be exact, but should be at least those measurements, as that's the size of the exported table image. The image will automatically fit into it, but for better quality should be as close to those sizes as possible:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_19h10m29s_016_ScaleImage

From the top menu bar, choose 'Select', then 'All' to select the image, then copy and paste it over the image of the table:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_19h12m55s_017_

Now simply save the image, and import it back over the old one in SimPE:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_19h14m29s_018_WizardsofSimPE

Click 'Next' to re-name the file so it doesn't overwrite the one you saved earlier:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Ashampoo_Snap_20120504_19h15m21s_019_WizardsofSimPE

Click 'Finish' and close down the program. We're now going to fire up our game to make sure the re-colours look ok. I've had some hideous disasters using wood textures on this particular table, so here's hoping!

Okay, I'm in the game and thankfully my re-colours are there, and nothing went horribly wrong this time. Here's a couple of pictures of them in action:

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Screenshot-1

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Screenshot

I'd love to know if this tutorial helped anyone, and I'd really like to see some of your re-colours in our downloads section.Wink

There's just one thing...when re-colouring appliances and counters etc., you will need to do 2, a clean version and a dirty one. Just to let you know! Very Happy
LadyAngel
LadyAngel
Uninspired underling
Uninspired underling

http://www.simfansuk.com

Back to top Go down

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Empty Re: Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp

Post  clc Mon May 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Fantastic recolouring tutorial for in game items LadyAngel. Thank you so much for sharing it here.

I am sure new and existing members will find great use from this.

Many thanks!!!
clc
clc
Admin
Admin

https://inspiringsims.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp Empty Re: Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp

Post  LadyAngel Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 pm

You're very welcome. Smile Re-colouring with Wizards is so easy I think everyone should have a go! lol
LadyAngel
LadyAngel
Uninspired underling
Uninspired underling

http://www.simfansuk.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sugah Tue May 07, 2013 1:19 am

Re-Colouring Objects Using Wizards of SimPE & Gimp 358104
Sugah
Sugah
Admin
Admin

http://sugahsplace.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down